Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Making decisions?

This may sound silly, but I've been wondering how people make decisions in their lives. I know we all make decisions on a daily basis -- ranging from something as simple as what we'll have for dinner to how we react to life's toughest roadblocks. For myself, I have no problem making simple everyday decisions, but I do struggle with making important decisions, and I wonder how other people manage this. I think part of being a happy, successful adult is to realize what we're good at and what we're lacking. Consequently, I've taken a good hard look in the mirror and realized that decision-making is something I really need to work on. I'm sure some of you pray about tough choices, while others may ask a trusted friend or loved one for advice. While I am a Christian, I don't feel the prayer route works well for me at this stage of my life (I do pray for others, but I don't pray for myself.). And I do discuss issues with one or two close friends at times, but I don't want them -- or anyone else -- to make my decisions for me. I am very open to advice, but I don't want to live my life as someone else thinks I should. It's my life, and I want to make my own decisions, but I honestly don't feel equipped to do so. I virtually never feel happy or comfortable with the decisions I make, and more often than not, I feel that I make decisions based on what other people want from me, not what I really want. As I think about this, I feel ashamed that this is a problem for me. And I've undeniably developed a huge amount of anxiety to accompany the existing issue. When I was younger, I was always a happy, confident person, and I didn't really question my decisions. But over the last 5-10 years, it's become very obvious to me that I could use help in this category now. It's not that I make horrible decisions like committing crimes or treating people badly, as that's not me at all. But when it comes down to things such as taking a new job, leaving a job, things pertaining to my relationships, etc., I'm horrible at making decisions. It's like I don't trust myself, and I'm not sure why. My gut tells me that this problem goes hand-in-hand with the huge lack of confidence that's plagued me since becoming overweight. And now that I'm losing weight and starting to feel better about myself, I'm hoping I gain the strength and knowledge to fix my broken decision-making abilities. In the meantime, I'd like to hear your thoughts...What helps you make important decisions in your life? How do you know what the right decision is? Does anyone else struggle with this problem?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Cami, as you know I struggle with making decisions as well! I think you need to follow your heart and gut instinct. Only you can make those important decisions because only you have to live with them! I am proud of you and think you are amazing and just go with what you know! I love you!!!!!
Stephanie

Anonymous said...

Hey Cami,

I think we all struggle with decisions- its what makes us human! I always try to do what is best for my family(and ultimately myself). At the end of the day you need to be comfortable with your decisions, how they will affect you and your family (Eric). If you follow your heart it will guide you to the right path. Believe in yourself, the decisions you make and eventually it will become easier :) You are an amazing woman! Be proud of your accomplishments! Love, Lisa

cami said...

Steph and Lisa - Thanks so much for the sweet and encouraging comments! I appreciate it so much! Love ya both!