Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Eric's family reunion

Every year, Eric's family has a four-day reunion here in Rexburg. Although we were living here last year, this is the first year we attended. We went over on Saturday and spent about 4 1/2 hours hanging out. There were a lot of people. If you're not LDS, you probably don't know that Mormons generally have large families. I don't know if anyone was able to take a head count, but I'd say there were easily a few hundred people there. They had all kinds of activities for the kids and some for the adults, as well as lots of food. We sat and visited with Eric's aunts and a handful of cousins that Eric barely knew, and I actually enjoyed getting to know them better. The event is held at the Westover Ranch just outside of town, and it's a pretty large venue. There's a lodge that houses old family photos and info, bathrooms with showers, a soda shop and more. Family members travel from all over to attend the reunion and camp out on the grounds each year. Family board members spend the year planning a schedule of events and menu for the upcoming reunion. Activities consist of flag ceremonies, crafts, face-painting, bingo, water rockets, campfire activities, baseball, jumping on trampolines and much more. I haven't been to a family reunion since middle school, but even still, I've never seen one to this degree. They put a lot of time and effort into this event, and I think it's really neat to see so many people show up. I took my camera to snap some pics, but I forgot about it until shortly before we were leaving. I did take this pic of Eric and his parents (Terrell & Kathryn) though.


Saturday was really hot here, and Eric and I were ready to go cool down by about 3:45. So we said good-bye and headed for home. We have a new weekend obsession that we were wanting to get home to -- sprinkler volleyball! We bought a "monster volleyball" set at Kmart a couple weeks ago, which we've been setting up in our front yard each weekend. But that wasn't helping us deal with the heat problem. It's been in the high 80s and low 90s for over a month (Trust me, I'm not complaining! I HATE winter weather, so I'll take the heat any day!), so we had to add the element of water to our new favorite activity. We bought a cheap little sprinkler at WalMart, and we set it up underneath our volleyball net. So now we're getting good exercise playing ball AND we're cooling down at the same time. It's awesome! We can play for hours. Here's a pic I snapped of Eric, and you should be able to see the net and sprinkler too. If you're looking for some fun exercise and a way to cool down, here's your solution. :)

1 comment:

Shawna said...

Great idea with the sprinkler!! I'll have to try that!