Thursday, July 31, 2008

Bridesmaids: botox and boob jobs?

Okay, so I was just randomly surfing the web this morning, and I came across an article that both sickened and intrigued me. Apparently brides today are changing how they give bridesmaid gifts. Rather than giving traditional gifts to their besties, many are opting to give Botox injections -- and some even boob jobs! What???

According to this article on Yahoo's Shine http://shine.yahoo.com/channel/beauty/botox-bridal-showers-217096/, one Beverly Hills dermatologist offers "Bridal Beauty Buffets" to clients, and he boasts that business is up by about 40%. Another report by spafinder.com refers to these treatments as "bridal party tuneups", and it claims a 25% increase in such treatments.

Even though many of us see these "gifts" as a bit over-the-top (that's putting it mildly in my opinion), the startling fact is that women as young as 29 are getting these treatments! Hell, I'm 29, and I don't need Botox (maybe a little liposuction, but hey that's another story)!!! What is going on with people today? I realize that beautiful, airbrushed women are everywhere -- billboards, magazines, reality TV -- but hasn't this been the case for many years? What's changed? While I believe that plastic surgery is a personal choice, and I'm not against getting something done for yourself, I absolutely do not think such procedures are good bridal party gifts. I find it insulting, and I think I'd be first in line to kick the bride if she felt compelled to try and "improve me" through such treatments.

What are you thoughts?

1 comment:

stephaniew said...

I would be offended if someone gave me plasic surgery.. It is like saying I am not good enough the way I am.. Crazy people with too much money to spend do shit like this!!!