Thursday, November 27, 2008

Thankful

Happy Thanksgiving! I was fortunate to get to spend Turkey Day with family -- many who I haven't seen in about 9 years. We visited, laughed a lot and ate a ton of yummy food. I'm so grateful to have such an awesome family. Yet, while that was great, I must admit that I'm feeling lonely today. It wasn't so bad when everyone was here, but now that they're gone, the sadness has crept in. This is the first time in 8 years that I haven't spent the holiday with Eric, and it's not easy. I guess I can't expect it to be. The holidays just don't feel like a happy time this year. So in the spirit of the holiday, and in order to stop feeling sorry for myself, I've decided to list some things that I am thankful for (in no particular order)...

1) My family - They've sacrificed a lot for me over the years, and continue to sacrifice in order to help me get back on my feet. They laugh at my silliness. They forgive me. They stand behind me ALWAYS. They value my opinion. They encourage me. They love me unconditionally. They want nothing more than for me to be happy. I know I can always come "home" and feel welcome. They respect me. They help me in any way they can. They are the best!

2) My best friend, Michelle - She is selfless and supports me no matter what. She always finds the time in her very busy "mommy" schedule to call and let me know she's thinking of me. She encourages me when I need it most. She listens without judging. She keeps me grounded. She tells me I'm beautiful when I feel ugly. She lets me vent and cry whenever I need to. She understands me. She reminds me that I deserve to be happy and loved. She shaved my legs for me when I was too sick and depressed to get out of bed...that's a true friend, and I love her dearly!

3) My good friend, Stephanie - Although I've only known her for a year and a half, she has helped me through some rough times. She helped me maintain some sanity in Idaho when I had nobody else. She's caring. She laughs at my craziness. She listens and shares. She welcomed and accepted me into her life and home from the day we met. She relates to me and my feelings. She's compassionate. She has a mouth like a trucker and makes me laugh! :)

4) Eric - Despite the current situation, I feel so grateful to have had Eric in my life these last eight years. He's given me so much to smile about. He's the best snuggler. He pretty much supported me financially for the last 2 years...always made sure I had everything I needed, even when we couldn't afford things we wanted. He encouraged me on my weight loss mission, because he wanted to me to be happy. He put up with my many mood swings over the years. He has beautiful, loving eyes. We've had so much fun together, often just hanging out being silly. He didn't get upset when I'd beat him at Wii bowling, Swing Away Golf, or Monopoly. :) He was my prince charming when I was at a really difficult crossroads in my life. He laughs at my silliness and makes me laugh as much. He loves me.

5) My life experiences - Even though there have been plenty of ups and downs, I am so grateful for the many experiences I've had. I've gotten to travel throughout the US, and to Canada, Jamaica and Mexico. I've met so many amazing people throughout my life...When I moved to California, some very generous friends let me stay with them for a couple months for free. They helped get me a job and meet new people. They helped me establish a life. I'll be eternally grateful for their kindness. My job at Western Air (Trane) opened up so many great doors for me...I made some really good friends -- co-workers, customers and vendors, got some amazing job experience, learned how to work hard and handle big responsibilities, and gained a lot of computer, marketing, sales, hvac, and business knowledge. I'm even thankful for the bad things I've experienced, because they've helped to make me who I am.

6) My education - I'm grateful for the education I received at Dalton and the couple years of college at Wayne. I learned how to be accountable for my own actions. I learned how to make friends. I learned how to speak in public. I learned enough to help me through many levels of Smarter Than a Fifth Grader and Cash Cab! :)

7) Miscellaneous - I'm thankful for sunshine, nature, hugs and kisses, dogs, music, technology, the feel of sand between my toes, makeup, slippers, holidays, french fries, seeing my niece and nephews smile, football, having a roof over my head, love, my colts blanket, the beach, toilet paper and indoor plumbing!, water, old friends and relationships, electricity, funny movies, having common sense, clothes, sweet treats, good health, compassion and sensitivity, the internet, the innocence of children, memories, laughing til my tummy hurts, gifts, summer thunderstorms, my weight loss, a warm bed to curl up in, kleenex to dry my tears, rainbows, coloring books and crayons, compliments, bike rides, my Jeep, cough drops, hot showers, passion, a sense of humor, eye candy, and much more.

...In reality, I see that I have a lot to be thankful for. I could keep adding to my list, but it's getting late, and I'm still struggling to get over this nasty cold. As an FYI, if you're reading this, I'm also thankful for you. I sincerely hope you had a nice Thanksgiving.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am so Thankful that I had both of my kids with me this Thanksgiving. Cami you are such a Blessing in my life!!!!!!!!!!!
Always,
Mom

Anonymous said...

You are a blessing to everyone who meets you! I miss you and only wish the best for you!