Thursday, September 11, 2008

Book Recommendation

Eric's boss just gave him a book to read at his leisure, and I decided to give it a go last night. You may think it sounds boring, because it's centered around providing excellent customer service, but it was actually quite enjoyable. The title is Raving Fans, and it's written by Ken Blanchard and Sheldon Bowles.

I've always felt that customers in any business are the nucleus of that business and should be treated accordingly. After all, where would any business be without customers? Yet, when I look around, I see people -- myself included -- getting horrible service in pretty much every industry that exists. I've worked in various aspects of customer service since I was sixteen, and I've always felt like I could put myself in the customer's shoes at any given time. Since we're all customers ourselves, it should be fairly simple to understand a customer's perspective. But businesses struggle with this very important missing link day after day. My opinion as to why they struggle or fail is that they don't truly CARE about their customers. The focus of this book is to teach business owners and managers that a satisfied customer is simply not enough...You should ALWAYS strive for "Raving Fans", or your company will never truly be successful. I like how the authors utilized a 'fairytale' storyline to keep things light and enjoyable, even though the message may be somewhat intense. I also like how they used many specific examples and kept things simple to drive their point home.

This book was quite short, totaling 132 pages, which is a plus for those who don't really enjoy reading. The spacing was a bit strange, as I think they could have easily fit more words on each page, which then could have cut the book down to less than 100 pages. Still, I finished the entire book in about two hours. That said, I think this was a great book, and I think that anyone involved in customer service could benefit from reading it. If more companies would incorporate these simple strategies into how they run their business, there would be a lot more happy customers or "Raving Fans"!

No comments: